Graduate School

Janet Woodruff-Borden, Dean
Susan Campbell Hall, first floor
1219 University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403-1219

Graduate Council

The Graduate Council is responsible for oversight of graduate education at the University of Oregon. The council consists of a representative elected committee of twelve faculty members, two students, and the dean and associate dean of the Graduate School. The current Graduate Council membership is listed on the Graduate School website.

Advanced Degrees and Certificates

Through the Graduate School, the University of Oregon offers study leading to advanced degrees in the liberal arts and sciences and in the professional areas of business, conflict and dispute resolution, design, education, journalism and communication, and music. Program offerings are listed below. The advanced degree or certificate granted is noted next to the degree program. Where no degree is listed, the subject is an area of focus within the college, school, or department.

For information about law degrees, see the School of Law section of this catalog.

Specific program requirements for most of these degrees appear in the departmental sections of this catalog; general requirements of the Graduate School are stated in this section.

College of Arts and Sciences

African studies: specialization

Anthropology: MA, MS, PhD

Asian studies: MA

Biology: MA, MS, PhD

Chemistry and biochemistry: MA, MS, PhD

Classics: MA

Comparative literature: MA*, PhD

Computer and information science: MA, MS, PhD

Creative writing: MFA

Earth sciences: MA, MS, PhD

East Asian languages and literatures: MA, PhD

Economics: MA, MS, PhD

English: MA, PhD

Environmental studies: MA, MS

  • Environmental sciences, studies, and policy: PhD
  • Food studies: specialization

Folklore: MA, MS

Geography: MA, MS, PhD

German and Scandinavian

  • German: MA, PhD

History: MA, PhD

Human physiology: MS, PhD

International studies: MA

Linguistics: MA, PhD

  • Language teaching studies: MA

Mathematics: MA, MS, PhD

Philosophy: MA, PhD

Physics: MA, MS, PhD

  • Applied physics: MS

Politics, culture, identity: specialization

Political science: MA, MS, PhD

Psychology: MA, MS, PhD

  • Neuroscience: specialization

Romance languages: MA, PhD

  • French: MA
  • Italian: MA
  • Spanish: MA

Russian, East European, and Eurasian studies: MA, certificate

Sociology: MA*, MS*, PhD

Theater arts: MA, MS, MFA, PhD

Translation studies: specialization

Women’s, gender, and sexuality studies: certificate

Professional Schools and Colleges

Charles H. Lundquist College of Business

Accounting: MActg, PhD

Finance: MA*, MS*, PhD

Management: MA*, MS*, PhD

  • General business: MBA
  • Advanced strategy and leadership: specialization
  • Finance and securities analysis: specialization
  • Innovation and entrepreneurship: specialization
  • Sports business: specialization
  • Sustainable business practices: specialization

Marketing: MA*, MS*, PhD

Operations and business analytics: MA*, MS*, PhD

Sports product management: MS

College of Design

Architecture: MArch, MS, PhD

  • Architectural technology: specialization
  • Ecological design: certificate
  • Housing: specialization
  • Technical teaching in architecture: certificate
  • Urban architecture and urban design: specialization
  • Urban historic preservation: specialization

Art: MFA

Art history: MA, PhD

Arts and administration

  • Arts management: MA, MS
  • Performing arts management: specialization
  • Museum studies: certificate

Historic preservation: MS

Interior architecture: MIArch, MS, specialization

Landscape architecture: MLA, PhD

Planning, public policy and management

  • Community and regional planning: MCRP
  • Nonprofit management: MNM
  • Nonprofit management: certificate
  • Oregon leadership in sustainability: certificate
  • Public administration: MPA

Product design

  • Sports product design: MS

College of Education

Communication disorders: certificate inactive

Communication disorders and sciences: MA, MS, PhD

Continuing administrator–superintendent: certificate inactive

Counseling, family, and human services: MA, MS, MEd

Couples and family therapy: MS

  • Counseling psychology: DEd, PhD

Critical and sociocultural studies in education: PhD

Curriculum and teacher education: MS

Curriculum and teaching: MEd

Early childhood: certificate inactive

Early childhood–elementary special education: certificate

Early intervention–early childhood special education: certificate

Educational leadership: MA, MS, MEd, DEd

Elementary: certificate

English speakers other languages: certificate inactive

English speakers other languages—bilingual: certificate inactive

Initial administrator: certificate inactive

Integrated teaching: certificate

Middle-secondary education: certificate

Middle-secondary special education: certificate

Music education: certificate inactive

Prevention science: MS, MEd, PhD, specialization

Quantitative research methods: specialization

Quantitative research methods in education: PhD

Reading education teaching: certificate inactive

Spanish language psychological service and research: specialization

School psychology: MA, MS, MEd, PhD, certificate

Special education: MA, MS, MEd, DEd, PhD

Special education: rehabilitation: DEd, PhD

School of Journalism and Communication

Advertising and brand responsibility: MA, MS

Communication ethics: certificate

Journalism: MA, MS

Journalism: magazine: MA  inactive, MS inactive

Journalism: news-editorial: MA inactive, MS inactive

Media studies: MA, MS, PhD

Multimedia journalism: MA, MS

Strategic communication: MA, MS

School of Law

Conflict and dispute resolution: MA, MS

Regional and international conflict: specialization

School of Music and Dance

Dance: MA, MS, MFA


  • Intermedia music technology: MMus
  • Music composition: MMus, DMA, PhD
  • Music: conducting: MMus (Choral, orchestral, wind ensemble)
  • Music education: MMus, PhD
  • Musicology: MA, PhD
  • Music: jazz studies: MMus
  • Music performance: MMus, DMA (collaborative or solo piano, harpsichord, multiple woodwinds or brass instruments, organ, percussion, piano pedagogy, voice, violin and viola performance and pedagogy)
  • Music: piano pedagogy: MMus
  • Music theory: MA, PhD

Those programs through which a master's degree is only attainable en route to a doctoral degree are marked with an asterisk (*).

Graduate School

Interdisciplinary Programs

Interdisciplinary studies: applied information management: MS inactive

Interdisciplinary studies: individualized program: MA, MS

Interdisciplinary (College of Arts and Sciences, College of Design, School of Journalism and Communication): new media and culture: certificate

General Information

Students who want to earn a second bachelor’s degree should not apply to the Graduate School. They should submit an application for postbaccalaureate undergraduate student status to the Office of Admissions:; telephone 541-346-3201.

Students who want to earn a graduate degree or graduate certificate are admitted to the Graduate School in accordance with the procedures described in this section.

Graduate Admission

To be admitted to the Graduate School for the purpose of seeking a graduate degree or graduate certificate or for enrolling in a formal nondegree graduate program, a student must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in the United States or its equivalent from a foreign country and must be accepted by the professional school or major department in which he or she proposes to study. International applicants must also submit proof of English language proficiency. Information about requirements may be found online.

Graduate Classification

Students seeking certificates or advanced degrees are classified as follows:

  • Graduate postbaccalaureate
  • Graduate premaster’s
  • Graduate conditional master’s
  • Graduate master’s
  • Graduate postmaster’s
  • Graduate conditional doctoral
  • Graduate doctoral
  • Graduate postdoctoral

The university’s schools and departments determine their own requirements for graduate admission. Students should become familiar with these requirements before applying and address inquiries about graduate admission to the department or school in which they plan to study, not to the Graduate School or to the Office of Admissions.

Initial student status may be either conditional or unconditional. If a student has not been granted unconditional student status after the completion of 36 credits of graduate course work, the Graduate School may inquire into their status and recommend that a decision on the student’s status be made as soon as possible.

A former University of Oregon student must be admitted formally to the Graduate School in the same way as a student from any other college or university.

A student who has been admitted to a graduate program and wants to change his or her major must apply for admission to the new department. 

Applicants must pay a nonrefundable $70 application fee for domestic applicants or a $90 application fee for international applicants. This fee is waived for applicants who have previous enrollment in a University of Oregon graduate degree program or who are currently enrolled in such a program and are applying to a different graduate program. The fee is also waived for current University of Oregon staff members; applicants who have submitted another graduate application and paid the application fee for the same academic year; participants in undergraduate research programs for minority students; participants in service-based organizations; and active members, reservists, or veterans of the US armed services. A limited number of application fee waivers are offered to applicants with demonstrated financial need. 

Application Procedure

Students seeking admission to the Graduate School must submit an online application. Links may be found on each department’s or school’s website, or by contacting the department directly. Official transcripts from all colleges or universities from which the student has received a bachelor’s or advanced degree must be sent to the Office of Admissions upon application.

Departments determine additional transcript requirements. The applicant may also be asked to submit materials such as transcripts of test scores (e.g., Graduate Record Examinations, Miller Analogies Test), evidence of foreign-language proficiency, and letters of reference. The applicant should ascertain from the school or department what additional materials, if any, are expected and send them directly to the department. In some cases, these materials will be collected electronically as part of the online application.

Admission for Graduate Postbaccalaureate Study

An applicant with a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent from a regionally accredited institution who wants to take graduate course work but does not intend to pursue a specific graduate degree must submit the official application form and an official transcript from the college or university from which he or she received the bachelor’s degree and any subsequent advanced degrees to the Graduate School. University of Oregon graduates do not need to send an official transcript to the Graduate School. Graduate postbaccalaureate status is a nondegree classification. Credits earned by postbaccalaureate students are recorded on the student's transcript. For more information, see Other Graduate Classifications below under General Requirements and Policies.

International Applicants

Applicants who are not United States citizens or immigrants are considered for admission to the university as international students.

A satisfactory command of the English language is required for admission to the University of Oregon. International applicants must demonstrate language proficiency through one of the following three methods:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Minimum score, 575 (paper) or 88 (Internet-based). Some departments require a higher score.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Minimum score, 7.0 overall band score. Some departments require a higher score.
  • Degree from an English-speaking country: Submit degree transcripts proving that you have received a bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited United States institution or from an institution in the following countries: Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.

Requesting Scores

Scores should be sent directly from the testing agency to the University of Oregon. The institution code is 4846. You should also have a copy sent to the department to which you are applying, if required. For more information, visit the testing sites online: TOEFL,; IELTS,; UO Testing Center,

Language Requirement for International Graduate Employees

Graduate students who are nonnative speakers of English who have been hired in teaching positions are required to prove their spoken English proficiency by achieving a minimum score on the Test of Spoken English (TSE), or the speaking component of either the Internet-based TOEFL or the academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. Graduate employees who do not meet the minimum score for these tests must take the UO Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) Test.

International students who want instruction in English as a second language before beginning their studies at the University of Oregon or another university in the United States may enroll in the American English Institute. For more information, visit

International students must carry health and accident insurance for themselves and their dependent family members living in the United States. Students’ insurance policies must meet the minimum University of Oregon health insurance requirements. These requirements may be met by purchasing the health insurance administered by the University Health Center. This plan may be purchased during the registration process. Questions about the minimum requirements should be directed to the International Student Advisor, Office of International Affairs, 5209 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-5209; telephone 541-346-3206.

Course Numbering System


Courses that offer graduate-level work in classes that may also include undergraduate students.


Graduate courses for graduate students only.


Except in the School of Music and Dance, courses of a highly technical nature that count toward a professional degree only, not toward advanced academic degrees such as an MA, MS, or PhD. Both 600- and 700-level courses with the MUP subject code denote graduate courses that apply toward advanced academic degrees in the School of Music and Dance.

503, 507, 508, 510, 601–610, 704–710

Graduate and professional courses that may be repeated for credit under the same number.

General Requirements and Policies

Course Registration Requirements and Limits

A graduate student may register for up to 16 credits of graduate or undergraduate course work. Registration in excess of this level, up to a maximum of 18 credits, requires payment of additional fees for each extra credit. During summer session, graduate students are limited to a maximum of 16 credits. Minimum registration is three graduate credits a term.

International students should request information from the Office of International Affairs about Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations and minimum credit requirements.

Graduate students working toward an advanced degree must be enrolled continuously until all degree requirements are completed (see Continuous Enrollment). Furthermore, students who use faculty assistance, services, or facilities must register each term for at least 3 graduate credits to compensate for usage. This includes students who are taking only comprehensive or final examinations or presenting recitals or terminal projects.

In the term in which a degree is granted, the student must register for at least 3 graduate credits. If the student is completing a master’s degree thesis in this final term, registration must include at least 1 of the 3 credits in Thesis (503). If a doctoral dissertation is being completed, registration must include at least 3 credits in Dissertation (603). Exceptions may be made depending on the timing of the submission of the thesis or dissertation. See the Graduate School website for details.

Students living elsewhere while writing a thesis or dissertation and sending chapters to an advisor for feedback must register for a minimum of 3 graduate credits a term; they should register for thesis or dissertation credits.

Various on- and off-campus agencies and offices have their own course-load requirements. For example, some agencies that offer student loans set registration requirements. The Office of the Registrar can only certify the number of credits for which a student has officially registered. Because the minimum registration requirements for the Graduate School may not satisfy some agency requirements, it is the student’s responsibility to register for the required number of credits.

Course Enrollment for Faculty and Staff Members

Faculty and staff members who want to take graduate courses should refer to the Human Resources office for information about regulations and fees. Officers of administration are subject to faculty policy.

Faculty members (including officers of administration) may not pursue an advanced degree in the department in which they hold an appointment. To pursue a degree in another department, they must submit a petition to the dean of the Graduate School for approval. More information about the petition process is available on the Graduate School website.

Joint-Campus Program

Graduate students at the university may, with advisor and departmental approval, take graduate courses at institutions in the Oregon University System participating in the joint campus program. A student registers for these courses with the University of Oregon registrar, who records each grade on the academic record under Joint Campus Experimental Course: [Topic] (JC 610). The student must be a matriculated UO graduate student in an advanced degree program and registered for UO courses during the same term the Joint Campus Experimental Course: [Topic] (JC 610) course is taken. A maximum of 15 credits taken under the joint campus program may be applied toward a graduate degree program. Joint campus course work counts toward the 24 graded credits required for the master’s degree. Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar.

WICHE Regional Graduate Programs

The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) coordinates a graduate exchange program, the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP), to enable students from Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming to apply for admission to selected professional programs and, if admitted, to be treated as resident students for tuition purposes.

The University of Oregon has two WRGP programs: historic preservation and human physiology. For information, visit

WGRP certification must be renewed each academic year. 

Grade Requirements

Graduate students must maintain at least a 3.00 grade point average (GPA) in graduate courses taken in the degree program. Grades of D+ or less for graduate courses are not accepted for graduate credit but are computed in the GPA. Similarly, the grade of N (no pass) is not accepted for graduate credit. A grade of pass (P) must be equal to or better than a B–.

A GPA below 3.00 at any time during a graduate student’s studies or the accumulation of more than 5 credits of N or F grades—regardless of the GPA—is considered unsatisfactory. The dean of the Graduate School, after consultation with the student’s home department, may drop the student from the Graduate School, thus terminating the student’s degree program.

Other Graduate Classifications

A student not seeking a graduate degree may be classified as a graduate student doing graduate-level work as follows:

  • postbaccalaureate graduate
  • premaster’s
  • postmaster’s
  • postdoctoral
  • nonadmitted Community Education Program participant

Credits earned in these classifications are recorded on the student’s transcript.

Up to 15 graduate credits earned under one or more of the above classifications may later be counted in a master’s degree program if endorsed by the school or department and approved by the Graduate School. Students must submit a Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit form which is available on the Graduate School website. These credits fall within the 15-credit maximum of transfer credit allowed for a master’s degree program. Approved credits may be used to meet relevant university degree requirements.


For graduate students, there are two sets of policies regarding incompletes on the student record—the first is departmental, the second involves the Graduate School. Graduate students should become familiar with both sets of policies. 

Graduate School policy requires that graduate students must convert a graduate course grade of Incomplete ("I") into a passing grade within one calendar year of the term the course was taken. After one year, the student must petition the Graduate School for the removal of the incomplete. 

To be eligible for Graduate School approval on a Petition to Remove an Incomplete, all of the following criteria must be met:

  • The incomplete must be no more than seven years old
  • The student must have the approval of the instructor to complete the outstanding course requirements
  • The student must not have completed a terminal advanced degree since the term of enrollment in the course. Incompletes that remain on the academic record after a degree has been awarded may not be removed. All course work documented on the transcript at the time of the awarding of the degree stands as a permanent record and it is not permissible to revise the record

An incomplete "I" assigned to Thesis (503), Research (601), Dissertation (603), and Terminal Project (609) does not require a petition. Thesis and dissertation credits are automatically converted upon awarding of the degree when the thesis or dissertation is completed and accepted by the Graduate School. Research and terminal project credits require the instructor to submit a Supplementary Grade Report to the Office of the Registrar. 

This policy applies to the level of the course and not to the level of the student. An undergraduate in a graduate-level course will be evaluated under Graduate School policy. A graduate student in an undergraduate level course will follow policies in effect for undergraduate students. 

Continuous Enrollment

Unless leave status has been approved, a student in an advanced degree or graduate certificate program must remain in continuous enrollment at the university, taking at least 3 graduate credits each term, until all the program’s requirements have been completed. Registration for summer session is not required unless the student is using university facilities or faculty or staff services. Failure to maintain continuous enrollment effectively withdraws the student from graduate status. See Permission to Reregister.

On-Leave Status

A graduate student interrupting a study program for one or more terms, excluding summer session, must register for on-leave status to ensure a place upon return. Only graduate students in good standing are eligible for on-leave status.

The Graduate School must receive the application by the last registration day—as noted in the class schedule—of the term the leave begins. Leave status is granted for a specified period excluding summer session. Students with approved leave status need not pay fees. However, students must register and pay fees if they use university facilities or faculty or staff services during the on-leave term. 

Master's Students

Master’s students, except summer-only students, may apply for a maximum of three academic terms of on-leave status during the course of study for the degree. A master's student who attends the university only during summer session must obtain on-leave status for each ensuing school year. These summer students also must complete all degree requirements within the seven-year time limit. 

Doctoral Students

Doctoral students may apply for a maximum of six academic terms of on-leave status during the course of study for the degree. See Continuous Enrollment under Doctoral Degrees.

Additional details about on-leave status and how to apply are available on the Graduate School website. 

Permission to Reregister

A graduate student who fails to maintain continuous enrollment or obtain on-leave status is required to file a Permission to Reregister form and petition for reinstatement (using the General Petition form). Both forms are available on the Graduate School website. The petition is reviewed by the student’s major department and the Graduate School. The student may, at the discretion of the department, be required to meet departmental admission policies and degree completion requirements that are in effect on the date of reenrollment. Doctoral students may, at the discretion of the department, be required to register for a new year of residency—three consecutive terms of at least 9 graduate credits in each term. They may also be required to retake the comprehensive examinations if completed prior to stopping out, if the department feels that this is necessary in order to demonstrate currency of knowledge.

Review of the Permission to Reregister form may result in a change of residency status from resident to nonresident. More information is available from the residency officer in the Office of Admissions.

Graduate Residency

Each graduate degree at the University of Oregon has a residency requirement that dictates how much of the work required for that degree must be completed at the University of Oregon. Please refer to the Master's Degrees and Doctoral Degrees sections below for details about residency requirements for each type of degree.

Waiver of Regulations

Graduate students may file a petition requesting exemption from any academic requirement. The petition must first be submitted to the academic department for review and supporting statement. The Graduate School then reviews the educational purpose the regulation in question was designed to serve. Petitions are seldom granted if the only reason given is to save the student from inconvenience or expense.

Graduate School petition forms are available on the Graduate School’s website.

Graduate Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees

The University of Oregon has differential graduate tuition. Please refer to the Office of the Registrar’s website for the current tuition and fees schedule:

Fellowships and Financial Aid

One purpose of scholarship and fellowship support provided by the UO Graduate School is to enhance the diversity of the graduate student population by seeking talented students from groups historically underrepresented in graduate education. Broadening the talent pool from which graduate students are chosen enriches the educational and scholarly activities of all students and faculty members and is good academic practice. By bringing diverse individuals together to engage in intellectual activities, graduate programs engender respect for intellect, regardless of source, and help to build a community whose members are judged by the quality of their ideas.

At the University of Oregon, financial aid is available through graduate employee (GE) opportunities and research fellowships, training grant stipends, scholarships, work-study, loans, and part-time jobs. GEs are available to qualified graduate students who are enrolled in the Graduate School and who have been admitted to an advanced degree program. Inquire at the department for specific application deadlines. Fellowship awards are based on the student’s potential as a graduate student. All GEs—research, teaching, and administrative—are represented by the Graduate Teaching Fellows Federation (GTFF), American Federation of Teachers, Local 3544. Recruitment and selection follow established published procedures from departments and the provisions of the GTFF contract. Details of appointment procedures are available from the departments. Reappointment is subject to departmental policy but is always contingent upon making satisfactory progress toward the degree.

Teaching Fellowships

Nearly all the schools and departments award graduate employee (GE) opportunities. For 2015–16, minimum-level salaries at 0.49 full-time equivalent (FTE) range from $13,455 to $16,048 for the academic year. The minimum appointment is a 0.20 FTE position. Graduate employees (GEs) must be enrolled in an advanced degree program and must register for and complete a minimum of 9 graduate credits toward the degree each term. Credits earned in audited courses do not count. Tuition for up to 16 credits a term, a health insurance premium subsidy, and mandatory fees subsidy are provided by the university. Failure to enroll for and complete the minimum of 9 credits a term may nullify an appointment.

Nonnative speakers of English who accept teaching-related GE positions must demonstrate appropriate English language proficiency. See "Language Requirement for International Graduate Employees" above. 

Research Fellowships

A number of departments and schools employ graduate students to work on research projects under the supervision of faculty members. Funds typically come from research grants and contracts. Salaries and tuition policy are the same as for graduate students with teaching fellowships. In addition, some departments have federally supported training grants and consider fellowship applicants for support through these resources.

Fellowships from Other Sources

Graduate students may be eligible for fellowship awards granted by federal agencies and private foundations. Information on internal and external funding opportunities is available on the Graduate School website.

Postdoctoral Fellowships

The University of Oregon participates in several postdoctoral fellowship programs and provides facilities for postdoctoral study under faculty supervision. More information is available from individual schools and departments.

Other Financial Assistance

Some forms of financial aid depend on financial need, defined as the difference between the cost of attending an institution and the amount the student and his or her family can contribute toward these expenses. See the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships section of this catalog for information about available aid and application procedures.

International Students

International students may work on campus during the school year but should not expect to work off campus. Those who hold student (F-1) visas are expected to have sufficient funds for the period of their studies. Their dependents are not usually allowed to work. However, if it is necessary for a dependent to work, students should contact the Office of International Affairs.

International students are eligible for institutionally-supported teaching and research fellowships described above.

Master’s Degrees

Master’s degree candidates must fulfill the requirements of the Graduate School, which are listed below. Students must also complete the additional requirements set by the school or department in which the degree is to be awarded. These are described in the departmental sections of this catalog. 

Credit Requirements

To earn a master’s degree, students must complete an integrated program of study through either a departmental discipline or a program of interdisciplinary studies totaling no fewer than 45 graduate credits. As noted above, some departments require more than 45 credits.

The credits must be taken after admission to the master’s degree program (conditional or unconditional) or approved for transfer (see Transferred Credit below). Of the total, 24 credits must be in UO-graded courses passed with a grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better. A minimum of 30 credits in the major are required for a master’s degree with a departmental major. In addition, at least 9 credits in courses numbered 600–699 must be taken in residence.

Students working toward a 45-credit master’s degree with thesis must register for a minimum of 36 credits of course work and 9 credits in Thesis (503). Credit for thesis is given pass/no pass.

Second Master’s Degree

Students who earned the first master’s degree from the University of Oregon may earn a second master’s degree in another field by taking at least 30 graduate credits, of which 24 must be in courses taken for letter grades, after official admission as a master’s degree candidate in the new major at the university. This provision does not apply to a second master’s degree in the Interdisciplinary Studies: Individualized Program (IS:IP). Although the second master’s degree may be permitted with reduced credits, complete records of the student’s graduate-level study must reflect the equivalent of all requirements for completion of the degree as described in the University of Oregon Catalog. Schools and departments may require more than this 30-credit minimum or deny the request. Students pursuing two graduate degrees at the same time must file a concurrent degree form, available on the Graduate School website. If the first master’s degree is from another institution, the second master’s degree program must comply with the standard university master’s degree requirements (a minimum of 45 credits).

Time Limit

Students must complete all work for the master’s degree within seven years, including transferred credits, thesis, the language requirement for an MA, and all examinations. On-leave status does not extend the seven-year deadline unless an extension is expressly approved by the Graduate School.

Residency and Enrollment Requirements

For a master’s degree, the Graduate School requires that a minimum of 30 credits (applicable to degree requirements) be taken at the University of Oregon during at least two terms of study. A second University of Oregon master’s degree also requires a minimum of 30 credits and at least two terms of study at the University of Oregon. Individual schools or departments may have additional residence requirements.

Students enrolled in an advanced degree program must attend the university continuously, except for summers, until all the program’s requirements have been completed, unless on-leave status has been approved. For more information, see Course Registration Requirements and Limits, Continuous Enrollment, Graduate Residency, and On-Leave Status under General Requirements and Policies.

Transferred Credit

Graduate Credit from Other Institutions

Graduate credit earned while a graduate student in another accredited graduate school may be counted toward the master’s degree under the following conditions:

  1. Total transferred credits may not exceed 15 credits in a master’s degree program
  2. Courses must be relevant to the degree program as a whole
  3. The student’s home department and the Graduate School must approve the transfer
  4. Grades earned must be A+, A, A–, B+, B, or P
  5. The courses may not have been used to satisfy the requirements for another degree
  6. Transfer courses are subject to the seven-year limit for degree completion

Transferred credit may not be used to meet the requirement of 24 credits in University of Oregon graded graduate courses, nor are they used in computing the UO cumulative GPA.

Reservation of Graduate Credit: Permission to Register for Graduate Credit

An undergraduate student working toward a bachelor's degree must request permission to register for a graduate-level course. The student must file a Reservation of Graduate Credit form with the Graduate School by the first Friday of the term in which he or she wants to enroll in the graduate course. Two options are available for disposition of course credits.

Option 1

Include the graduate-level course in requirements for the bachelor's degree. To be eligible, the student must be admitted as an undergraduate and have earned a minimum GPA of 3.00 in each of the three terms prior to enrolling in the graduate course. Undergraduates receiving less than a grade of B in a graduate-level course will be ineligible for enrollment in graduate-level course work. 

Option 2

Reserve the graduate-level course for consideration by a department after admission as a graduate student. This option is available to seniors only and is limited to a maximum of three graduate courses not exceeding a total of 12 credits. To be eligible, the student must have earned a minimum GPA of 3.00 in each of the three terms prior to enrolling in the graduate course. Undergraduates receiving less than a grade of B in a graduate-level course will not be allowed to use the course toward a master's degree, and will be ineligible for further reservations of graduate credit.  

Nondegree seeking undergraduate students are ineligible for Registration of Graduate Credit. This includes Community Education Program students and undergraduate postbaccalaureate students. Undergraduates do not qualify to receive credits for the following graduate classes: Research (601), Supervised College Teaching (602), Internship (604), Reading and Conference (605), Field Studies or Special Problems (606), Workshop (508 or 608), Special Topics or Colloquium (508 or 608), and Practicum, Terminal Project, or Supervised Tutoring (609).  

Transfer of Reserved Graduate Credit

Undergraduates who completed graduate-level courses at the University of Oregon under the Reservation of Graduate Credit petition process and who reserve the courses by choosing Option 2 on the petition form may apply up to 12 credits toward the master's degree. 

Course work taken for letter grades (B or better) and P/N courses, if accompanied by the instructor's statement that the passing grade was equal to a B or better, is eligible for consideration. If approved, these courses can be used to satisfy relevant university master's degree requirements. A Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit form (available on the Graduate School's website) must be filed within two terms of acceptance into a master's degree program and within two years of earning the bachelor's degree. Any credits transferred under this option fall with the 15-credit transfer maximum. 

Other University of Oregon Transferred Credit

A maximum of 15 graduate credits earned at the University of Oregon while classified as a graduate postbaccalaureate student, a nonadmitted graduate student enrolled in the Community Education Program or in summer session, or a student earning a graduate certificate may later be counted toward the master’s degree (see Other Graduate Classifications under General Requirements and Policies), pending school or department endorsement and Graduate School approval. This is within the overall 15-credit maximum for transfer. Grades earned must be A+, A, A–, B+, B, or P. A Request for Transfer of Graduate Credit form (available on the Graduate School's website) must be approved for credits completed under these classifications to be applied to degree requirements. 

Distinction between MA and MS Degrees

Students pursuing an MA degree must demonstrate competence in a second language. The minimum requirement is the same as that for fulfilling the second-language requirement for the bachelor of arts degree. (See Bachelor's Degree Requirements section of this catalog.) The student’s major department may establish a higher level of proficiency or a different method of determining that level. Language competence must be demonstrated within the overall seven-year limitation for completion of a master’s degree. There is no language requirement for the MS and professional advanced degrees unless the department so specifies.

Examinations and Thesis

The student’s major school or department may require qualifying, comprehensive, or final examinations or any combination of these. The content and methods of conducting such examinations are the responsibility of the school or department.

In some fields, master’s degree candidates must submit a thesis; in others the thesis is optional. A student who writes a thesis must complete the following procedures:

  1. Request information from the major school or department about the various steps involved and the standards expected
  2. Consult the Thesis and Dissertation Style and Policy Manual, available on the Graduate School’s website. Only theses that meet the standards of style and form discussed in that manual are accepted

The advisory committee, appointed by the department, determines the work to be completed in light of the student’s academic background and objectives. The number of committee members is determined by the department. The advisor shall be from the regular faculty, tenured or tenure-track.

Research Compliance

See Research Compliance in the Doctoral Degrees section of this catalog.

Summary of Graduate School Requirements

The following outline lists minimum Graduate School requirements for master’s degrees. Specific departmental requirements must also be met before the student is awarded an advanced degree. Credit requirements listed below must be met with graduate credits.

Language requirement MA only
Minimum GPA 3.00
Minimum thesis credits 9 credits
Time limit for program completion seven years
Total credit minimum 45 credits
Registration minimum per term 3 credits
Minimum graded credits taken in residence 24 credits
Minimum 600-level credits in residence 9 credits
Minimum credits in major 30 credits
Minimum credits in residence 30 credits

The school or department specifies whether a thesis is mandatory or optional; however, a student writing a thesis must register for at least 9 credits in Thesis (503).

Interdisciplinary Master’s Degree Programs

In addition to specialized graduate work in traditional fields of learning, the university provides opportunities for integrated interdisciplinary studies leading to the MA or the MS degree. These programs are planned according to the individual student’s interests and the established programs of study organized and administered through interdepartmental faculty committees.

Graduate students pursuing a program of interdisciplinary studies may supplement graduate courses offered by the various departments and schools with individualized studies by enrolling under the IST course numbers in the Courses section.

A student interested in an interdisciplinary program approved by the Graduate Council should direct inquiries to the appropriate program: applied information management or individualized program. Interdisciplinary programs are described below.

The requirements for an MS degree in interdisciplinary studies are the same as those for a departmental master’s degree, except those requirements relating to primary or secondary fields. For the MA degree, the student must show knowledge of a second language equivalent to satisfactory completion of the second-year college sequence either with the College Level Examination Program test or with adequate undergraduate course work. As with all work for the master’s degree, language competence must be demonstrated within the overall seven-year time limit.

Interdisciplinary Studies: Applied Information Management

Information on the multidisciplinary master's degree program in applied information management may be found by selecting the appropriate tab at the top of this page.

Interdisciplinary Studies: Individualized Program

The individualized program is the university’s most flexible interdisciplinary program leading to MA and MS degrees. The program is designed for students with specific, well-articulated goals that cannot be reached through established departmental programs. Although flexibility is allowed in program design, the program must be composed of existing graduate courses from approved master’s degree programs in three professional schools, in three departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, or in a combination of programs from the professional schools and the College of Arts and Sciences.

The Interdisciplinary Studies: Individualized Program (IS:IP) requires a total of at least 54 graduate credits; a minimum of 15 graduate credits in each of the three areas of concentration; and 9 graduate credits for an integrated terminal project or thesis determined by the student and three advisors during the course of study.

Guidelines in the IS:IP program include the following:

  1. A maximum of 15 credits may be used from practicum, field studies, research, and reading and conference courses. Such credit must be distributed across all three areas of the program
  2. The terminal project or thesis consists of 9 credits distributed across at least two areas. Credit for this project is earned in Terminal Project (IST 609); credit for the thesis is earned in Thesis (IST 503)
  3. At least 39 of the 54 minimum credits for the degree must be taken after the candidate is admitted to the IS:IP program

Admission is selective. Acceptance into the program is based on background qualifications, the statement of purpose, and the appropriateness and availability of courses and advisors at the university. An applicant who has been denied admission to a departmental graduate program at the university must have departmental permission to use that department as a program area.

Consent must be obtained in writing from each of the three advisors, indicating their willingness to serve and their approval of the final listing of courses in each of the three areas. One of the three advisors must be designated as chair. Subsequent changes in the program must be approved by both the advisor in the area involved and the IS:IP director. More information about the IS:IP program is available on the Graduate School website.

Doctoral Degrees

Doctor of Philosophy

The degree of doctor of philosophy (PhD) requires distinguished achievement in both scholarship and original research. The degree is granted chiefly in recognition of the candidate’s high attainment and ability in a special field of an academic discipline, as shown by work on required examinations and by the preparation of a dissertation. Minimum university and school or department requirements of residence and study must be satisfied. The requirements for PhD degrees established by the Graduate School are given below. Individual programs have additional specific requirements, which are presented in the departmental sections of this catalog. 

Residency and Credit Requirements

For the PhD degree, the student must complete the equivalent of at least 81 credits of graduate-level academic work beyond the bachelor’s degree over the course of at least three calendar years. At least one academic year—the residency year—must be completed at the University of Oregon after the student has been classified as a conditionally or an unconditionally admitted student in a doctoral program. The residency year is expected to be the first year after admission as a doctoral student. During this year of residency the student is expected to make progress toward the degree by completing course credits and satisfying doctoral degree requirements. The residency year consists of three consecutive terms of full-time study toward the degree, with a minimum of 9 completed graduate credits a term in the student’s major. Courses in Research (601), Reading and Conference (605), and other individualized study options may be a part of the 9 credits, but the majority of the year of residency in expected to consist of regular graduate course work.

A doctoral candidate may fulfill the residency requirement during the period in which he or she works toward a master’s degree on the university campus as long as

  1. the student has been officially awarded the master’s degree
  2. the doctoral degree program immediately follows the master’s degree program
  3. both the master’s degree and the doctoral degree are in the same discipline

Students working toward a PhD or professional doctorate must register for a minimum of 18 credits in Dissertation (603). Credit for Dissertation is recorded P/N (pass/no pass). See Dissertation Registration for more information.

Language Requirement

Individual schools or departments may require knowledge of a second language or of other specialized disciplines, such as computer science or statistics, as part of a PhD program. Information about these requirements is available from the school or department.

Candidates for the doctor of philosophy degree at the University of Oregon are expected to have proficiency in at least one language in addition to English if a substantial, relevant body of literature in one or more languages exists in the candidate’s specialized field of dissertation research. It is the responsibility of the candidate’s advisor or doctoral committee to determine which languages the candidate is expected to know before beginning dissertation research. Guidelines for language proficiency are established by the candidate’s home department.

Advisory Committee

The advisory committee, appointed by the department, determines the work to be completed in light of the student’s academic background and objectives. This committee usually consists of three or four members, and the student’s advisor is chair.

Examinations and Advancement to Candidacy

Every student must pass comprehensive examinations (oral, written, or both) that cover the primary areas of the student’s program and, if applicable, any supporting area required by the department. The student is responsible for material directly covered in completed graduate courses and for additional independent study in his or her field.

Within two weeks of the student passing these examinations, the home department and the student must submit a report to the dean of the Graduate School recommending advancement to candidacy.


All candidates must submit a dissertation based on independent and original research. The dissertation must contribute significantly to knowledge, show a mastery of the literature of the subject, be written in acceptable literary style, and conform to the standards outlined in the University of Oregon Thesis and Dissertation Style and Policy Manual. The manual is available from the Graduate School’s website. Doctoral dissertations must be submitted electronically to ProQuest (formerly University Microfilms International). Copyright registration is optional.

Research Compliance

University policy requires that students who intend to engage in research involving human or animal subjects have their research procedures approved before they begin to collect data. Researchers who want to use human subjects may obtain protocol forms and procedures from the Research Compliance Services website, Researchers who want to use vertebrate animals may obtain protocol forms and procedures from the Terrestrial Animal Care Services website.

Dissertation Committee

Following advancement to candidacy, the candidate’s department proposes the membership of the dissertation committee to the dean of the Graduate School, who appoints the committee after approving it.

The committee includes at least four instructional faculty members. Three of the members are from the department awarding the degree and one is from outside the department. When appropriate, some of the home department committee members may be from another department, with the approval of the dean of the Graduate School and the home department. The committee should be proposed to the dean within one month after advancement to candidacy but in no case later than six months before completion of the dissertation defense.

A detailed description of the policy on dissertation committees is available on the Graduate School’s website.

Dissertation Registration

Registration for Dissertation (603) is allowed only after the candidate has advanced to candidacy. Doctoral students must have a minimum of 18 credits of Dissertation (603) to graduate. Doctoral students are required to enroll for a minimum of 3 credits of Dissertation (603) in the term of degree completion and during any other term in which they are utilizing faculty time or university resources.

Defense of Dissertation

Formal, public defense must take place on campus at a date set by the committee chair and approved by the Graduate School. 

Tentative approval of the dissertation by the committee is recommended prior to formal defense. This evaluation is based on copies of the final manuscript, which the candidate provides for the dissertation committee at least three weeks before the formal defense.

The approved application for final oral defense must also be filed with the Graduate School three weeks before the formal defense. Visit the Graduate School website for specific instructions.

The time and place of the defense must be publicly noted. The dissertation committee must be present at the defense, and the chair of the committee must certify to the Graduate School within two weeks following the defense that the defense was held as scheduled.

Completion of Dissertation

Within two weeks following the defense of the dissertation but before the dissertation is submitted to the Graduate School, each member of the dissertation committee must confirm in writing either approval or disapproval of the final version. Approval requires a unanimous vote. In the event of a split vote, the dean of the Graduate School determines the review procedure after consultation with the student, the department chair (or the school dean), and the committee.

Committee members should sign the Certificate of Completion, signaling approval of the dissertation, only if they have seen and approved what is substantially a final draft and if they are willing to delegate the overseeing of remaining minor revisions to the chair. If this is not the case, they should not sign the Certificate of Completion. If no signed approval form is received by the Graduate School within two weeks following the scheduled oral examination, another oral examination must be scheduled for defense of the dissertation. Once the dissertation has been approved by the committee, the student must submit the dissertation electronically to the Graduate School. Visit the Graduate School website for deadlines and submission instructions.

Time Limit

The seven-year time limit for completing a doctoral degree begins with the first term of admission as a conditional or regular doctoral student at the University of Oregon. The required year of residency, the passing of the comprehensive examinations required for advancement to candidacy, and the completion of the doctoral dissertation must all be accomplished within this seven-year period. On-leave status does not extend the seven-year deadline unless an extension is expressly approved by the Graduate School.

A petition for an extension of the period can only be considered if the student has already advanced to candidacy and has an approved dissertation proposal by the end of the seventh year. Petitions for extension of the seven-year limit may include the requirements of a second year of residency or a new set of comprehensive examinations or both. Petitions are evaluated case by case and are not automatically granted.

In addition, some departments may require that the dissertation be completed within a certain number of years after advancement to candidacy (e.g., three years) to ensure currency of knowledge. In such cases, a petition for an extension of that three-year period is evaluated in the same manner as a petition to extend the seven-year limit.

Students are responsible for staying informed about, and complying with, departmental regulations as well as Graduate School regulations.

Continuous Enrollment

Unless on-leave status has been approved, a student enrolled in a doctoral program must attend the university continuously until all the program and university requirements, including submission of the dissertation to the Graduate School, have been met. To be continuously enrolled, the student must register for 3 graduate credits each term excluding summer sessions. See On-Leave Status under General Requirements and Policies.

On-Leave Registration

While on on-leave status, the doctoral candidate acknowledges that he or she is not using any university or faculty services (e.g., no examinations are being taken, no committee changes are being processed, and no dissertation chapters are being submitted for review). On-leave status maintains the student’s status as a degree candidate and reserves a place for dissertation supervision and other academic affairs upon the student’s return to active enrollment within the seven-year time limit.

Doctor of Education

The Doctor of Education (DEd) degree is granted in recognition of the candidate’s mastery of theory, practice, and research in professional education.

General Requirements

Candidates for the DEd degree must meet the requirements established by the College of Education. In addition to a primary specialization, the student’s plan of study should include work in supporting areas of education, such as foundation areas, a research area, and some noneducation courses related to the program. With the exceptions noted here, the general requirements for residence, dissertation, examinations, time limit, and continuous enrollment are the same as for the PhD degree.


The student should develop the dissertation proposal early in the doctoral program. The dissertation may be either a report of research that makes an original contribution to knowledge or a study in which the student takes knowledge that is available and produces a constructive result of importance and value for educational practice.

Advancement to Candidacy

Advancement to candidacy for the DEd degree is based on recommendation by a doctoral advisory committee and demonstrated proficiency in comprehensive examinations. The student may take these examinations only after (1) admission to the degree program, (2) substantial completion of all the planned course work, and (3) the advisor’s permission to take the examinations.

Doctor of Musical Arts

Requirements for the doctor of musical arts (DMA) degree include formal admission, proficiency and comprehensive examinations, second languages, a program of study including area of emphasis, and a dissertation or lecture document. Requirements for residence, time limit, and continuous enrollment are the same as those listed for the PhD degree. See the School of Music and Dance section of this catalog for details.

DMA in Performance

The doctor of musical arts degree in performance has two options.

Option I requires a written dissertation after completion of the program of courses and seminars, the required recitals or other performances, and the comprehensive examinations.

Option II requires the student to give a lecture-presentation and produce a written document of fifty pages in lieu of the traditional written dissertation. The presentation and document are in addition to recitals or performances required in the various areas of performance.

Chronological Summary of Procedures Leading to Doctoral Degrees

  1. Admission
  2. Continuous enrollment. Students enrolled in advanced degree programs must attend the university continuously (except for summers) until all the program’s requirements are completed, unless on-leave status has been approved. Minimum enrollment is 3 graduate credits a term
  3. Course work and residence. Student’s advisory committee, appointed by the department, school, or college, determines the program, which must include at least 81 credits of accredited graduate work beyond the bachelor’s degree over the course of at least three years, of which at least one academic year (three consecutive terms of full-time study—minimum of 9 completed graduate credits a term) must be completed at the University of Oregon
  4. Second languages or other specialized knowledge. Regulations are set by the department, school, or college
  5. A comprehensive examination, covering the major discipline, advances the student to candidacy for the degree. The examination is taken after the majority of required course work has been completed and after most of the requirements for the degree, except completion and defense of the dissertation, have been satisfied
  6. Appointment of dissertation committee, registration for Dissertation (603), and completion of dissertation. The committee is appointed following advancement to candidacy and at least six months before completion of the dissertation. Typically, the committee consists of at least three members of the graduate faculty of the candidate’s home department, school, or college as well as a Graduate School representative who is a graduate faculty member from outside the candidate’s department. A minimum of 18 credits in Dissertation (603) are required after advancement
  7. Application for degree made to the Graduate School. Deadlines and instructions are available on the Graduate School website
  8. Defense of dissertation. Approve application for final oral defense must be filed with the Graduate School no fewer than three weeks before the date of defense
  9. Dissertation publication, arranged through the Graduate School
  10. Granting of degree at end of term in which all degree requirements are satisfied
  11. Diploma, with commencement date, issued by Office of the Registrar

Applied Information Management Program

Kara McFall, Program Director
Baker Downtown Center, 975 High Street, Suite 110
Eugene, Oregon 97401

About the Program

This program is no longer accepting applications for admission, and the program will be closing. Current AIM students may access the requirements they need to graduate in previous University of Oregon catalogs, which may be reviewed on the registrar's website.


Course usage information

AIM 405. Reading and Conference: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 406. Special Problems: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 407. Seminar: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 408. Workshop: [Topic]. 1-6 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 410. Experimental Course: [Topic]. 1-6 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 507. Seminar: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 508. Workshop: [Topic]. 1-6 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 510. Experimental Course: [Topic]. 1-6 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 605. Reading and Conference: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 606. Special Problems: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 607. Seminar: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 608. Workshop: [Topic]. 1-6 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 609. Terminal Project. 1-6 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 610. Experimental Course: [Topic]. 1-6 Credits.


Course usage information

AIM 642. Managing Organizations in Technological Environments. 3 Credits.

Examines critical issues in business and provides a framework for redesigning organizations in response to change. Topics include market trends, work force changes, and environmental conditions.

Course usage information

AIM 646. Creating Business Solutions with Technology. 3 Credits.

Methods of aligning information technology planning with corporate goals and objectives. Topics include strategic planning, design and evaluation of techology projects.

Course usage information

AIM 654. Information Design and Communication. 3 Credits.

Addresses concepts, vocabulary, tools and technologies related to the design and preservation of electronically processed and print information that increases attention and understanding.

Course usage information

AIM 656. Information Design Trends. 3 Credits.

Examines information design trends, as they affect standards and website implementation, from a project manager's perspective.

Course usage information

AIM 665. Project Management. 3 Credits.

Presents theoretical and practical applications of scheduling and project management. Topics include planning, budgeting, and evaluation using project management tools.

Course usage information

AIM 668. Information Systems and Management. 3 Credits.

Information systems, how they change, the role of management, and the structure of organizations. Topics include the strategic role of information, managing systems implementation, and end-user computing.


Course usage information

IST 503. Thesis. 1-16 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 601. Research: [Topic]. 1-16 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 602. Supervised College Teaching. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 605. Reading and Conference: [Topic]. 1-16 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 606. Special Problems: [Topic]. 1-16 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 607. Seminar: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 608. Workshop: [Topic] or Colloquium: [Topic] or Special Topics: [Topic]. 1-16 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 609. Terminal Project. 1-16 Credits.


Course usage information

IST 610. Experimental Course: [Topic]. 1-5 Credits.



Course usage information

JC 610. Joint Campus Experimental Course: [Topic]. 1-15 Credits.