Student Housing

Michael Griffel, Director

Walton Hall
1220 University of Oregon
Eugene, Oregon 97403-1220

The Office of University Housing is dedicated to providing student housing that promotes academic success through academic residential communities and student-centered services. As a unit of the Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management, the staff is committed to supporting the mission of the University of Oregon.

The university requires all first-year students live on campus. Students may choose housing options in a residence hall community, which include room and board, and apartment communities. A small number of university houses in residential neighborhoods adjacent to campus are also available. The office also offers dining services with healthy options that incorporate locally sourced, organic ingredients whenever possible for residents and the campus community.

Residence Halls and Academic Residential Communities

The university maintains 10 residence hall communities, which house approximately 4,375 students during the academic year. All residence halls have study areas, TV lounges, and laundry facilities, and a few have community kitchens. Available room types include single-, double-, or triple-occupancy, as well as a limited number of suites and rooms with bathrooms or sinks. All rooms contain a bed, desk, chair, and a wardrobe, dresser, or closet for each resident. Ethernet and/or Wi-Fi access are included in room-and-board charges. In addition to the amenities, a dedicated staff of professionals and student leaders live in the halls to help ease the college experience in the halls and ensure residents are aware of resources.

The Office of University Housing partners with campus departments and academic schools and colleges to offer a variety of academic connections and academic residential communities (ARCs) for residents. Such programs include Art and Design, Building Business Leaders, Business Residential Community, Carnegie Global Oregon, Environmental Leaders, Global Engagement (with Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish communities), Health Services, LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual) Scholars, Living in German, Media and Social Action, Multicultural Scholars, Musical Scholars, Native American and Indigenous Studies, Robert D. Clark Honors College, Service-Learning, Social Activism, and Umoja Pan-African Scholars. The residence halls also connect students with faculty members, advisors, and tutors through programs such as the Faculty Fellows, Advisor Fellows, Faculty-in-Residence, and in-hall tutoring.

Specialized communities are another way residents can tailor their communities. The housing office also offers the Gender Equity Hall, Quiet Hall, and Wellness Hall. For more information, visit the housing website.

Dining on Campus

The residence halls have five flexible meal plans. Meal plans operate on a point system loaded weekly on a student's campus ID. Each meal plan also comes with Duck Bucks to use in other locations on campus. With the exception of the Carson limited plan, students may use their meal plan points in any of the nine housing dining venues, which offer a range of choices from all-you-care-to-eat venues to individually prepared entrées and deli or market items to go. Venues include a traditional all-you-care-to-eat dining center, a burrito and taco station, coffee houses, a bistro, a stir-fry grill, pasta bar, two deli-style locations, "gastro grub," and markets with everything from sushi to sandwiches, soups, entrées, fresh fruit, açai bowls, and beverages.

Applying for Housing

Only students admitted to the university may apply for on-campus housing. After receiving notice of admission from the Office of Admissions, students should visit the website and fill out an online application form. After completing and submitting the online application, students must then read and sign the online housing contract and make an online payment of their nonrefundable application fee and a prepayment to immediately secure a housing space.

As noted before, living on campus is a requirement for all first-year students. Residence hall and room preferences are granted on a first-come, first-served basis, although returning residents are given priority in room choices. Information and instructions on applying for residence hall housing may be found on the housing website.

Residence Hall Contract and Rates

Residence hall contracts cover the full academic year. For residence halls, the academic year begins a few days before classes start in fall term (September 20, 2018) through the end of spring term (June 14, 2019), excluding winter break. During the winter break and summer session, residents may stay in the halls for an additional fee.

Residents must sign a contract that explains the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of residence hall occupancy. These terms are based on consideration for other residents, health and safety standards, and compliance with established state laws and the University of Oregon student conduct code. Failure to comply with the terms and conditions of occupancy can lead to eviction. 

Room and board charges are billed to students’ university accounts. Rates vary based on room type and meal plan. For information about billing and rates, please visit the housing website.

Family Housing and University Apartments

The Office of University Housing maintains apartment communities and a limited number of houses for approximately 500 students and their families. Accommodation in Family Housing and University Apartments is open to full-time students. One building offers single-dwelling units for graduate students; other one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartments may be occupied by graduate or undergraduate students who are 20 or older or are either married, in a domestic partnership, or have minor children.

Apartments and houses are unfurnished, although each unit is equipped with a stove and a refrigerator. On-site laundry facilities are available in apartment communities, and laundry hook-ups are available in most houses. Some buildings include Ethernet service with the rent. In addition, some apartment communities have playgrounds, recreation rooms, community gardens, childcare programs on site, and recycling facilities.

Residents of Family Housing and University Apartments may pay with cash or debit or credit cards for meals at any of university housing’s dining venues or purchase the Ducks Dine On plan. 


Rental rates vary by community or house, based on size and amenities. Occupancy limits are based on the number of bedrooms and the number of people in the household. There are a limited number of units that can accommodate three UO students; otherwise, no more than two adults may reside in a single unit.

To be eligible for a housing assignment, students must be enrolled and maintain full-time status at the university. Applications for Family Housing and University Apartments must be accompanied by a nonrefundable application fee. In addition, a security deposit and a prepayment toward the first month’s rent are required at the time the offer is accepted.